Think about your entertainment budget or even your coffee budget. We’re doing this over 6 months, so giving up one coffee a week (I know that’s asking a lot) would add up to $3:50 x 26 or almost $100. It’s very achievable for everyone to start somewhere!
Give over 6 months by looking at your budget. Set a goal and set aside an amount each month. Here are some other ideas:
1. As a family, give up one of your takeaway meals a week for a meal at home. Missing one meal a week at an average of $20 per family is $520 in 6 months.
2. Commit your income tax refund to the Lord.
3. Give a gift of assets. You can give real estate, stocks, bonds, gold, cars, boats, etc.
4. Adjust your holiday. Try having a holiday at home and taking day trips and picnics. Or take a three day holiday instead of a week. This can save $1,000 – $2,000.
5. Wait for a movie to come out on video instead of seeing it at the theatre. A trip to the movies for two people costs approximately $40 with tickets, popcorn and a drink. If you cut out one movie a month that is $480 over the year.
6. Put off a major purchase and redirect the money into the Day of Opportunity building fund.
7. A dollar increase per week. This is a great idea for those who have never given or do not see a way to increase current giving. Start by giving one dollar the first week, then two, then three, etc., praying all along that the Lord would show you a way to add that next dollar and increase each week. If you keep this up for 6 months you would give $670.